Imagine a situation where you are caught in a natural disaster, it could be a flood, earthquake, tornado or any other catastrophic event. How long do you think you can go without essential food and water in those times? It is truly an unpleasant and harrowing ordeal. Therefore, it makes lot of sense to be prepared than to wait for crew to reach because in more severe situations, emergency crew might take even days to arrive. Experts advise that it is therefore, sensible to get MRE’s (Meals ready to eat) for disaster preparedness. The meal is in an aluminum foil and plastic layered pack called retort packaging. The food is pre-cooked and some contain normal food while others contain meat. Eversafe MREs are similar to the ones used by the military for its troops and were later introduced for the civilian use.
Why it is better to buy MRE than canned foods?
If military prefers to use MRE than canned foods then obviously there should be some serious logic.
- 1Canned foods are bulky–The prime reason to buy MREs over canned foods is that , canned foods are not so easy to carry around in times of disaster. They weigh a lot, takes lots of space and if you are on foot then you should consider the limit to carry cans of food. Canned foods also need special preparation and opener is must at all times in order to get into canned foods.
- Ready to eat -As the name indicates, the meals are readily available to eat. The handy package has at least two servings of meal in them, perfect for survivalists, disaster preparation and campers and for others who prefer for MRE.
- Totally convenient -MRE’s are convenient to carry. The pouch is perfectly packed with enriched essential foods and easy to carry where you go. The pouch occupies too little space in your backpack.
- Nutritional value- Each pack contain 1200- 2000 calories per day nutritional value. Most MRE’s contain full day’s ration of three meals. You will also get easy to eat fork and spoon.
- 5. Variety –MRE’s are available in different forms in the market, you can buy MRE meals ranging from buffalo chicken, spaghetti with meat sauce to vegans who love to have vegetable lasagna, veggie burger with BBQ sauce. The list is endless as day by day there are so many varieties of food choices available.
- Can be consumed cold or warm- MREs are designed to be equally palatable whether you choose to eat cold or heat with microwave or stove.
- Shelf life and storage –MREs have shelf life of around 5 years, if properly stored. The cover containing the food is designed to withstand damage.